1. Home
  2. Paying for Home Care
  3. How to apply for home care waiver in Rhode Island?

How to apply for home care waiver in Rhode Island?

This article is part of Carenade’s ongoing efforts to help educate patients and families on “How To Pay for Home Care and Assisted Living”.

Each state and sometimes each county varies on the eligibility for various home care waivers. This warticle will orient you in the right direction if you are looking to apply for a home care (or other long term care) waiver in Rhode Island.

Depending on your financial status, you may qualify for Rhode Island LTSS (Long Term Services and Supports). This waiver helps pay for various home and community-based services including:

  • Assisted living
  • Case management
  • Meals on Wheels
  • Special medical equipment
  • Respite care
  • Homemaker services

How do I know if I qualify for the LTSS waiver?

The only surefire way to know if you qualify is to contact the Rhode Island Division of Elderly Affiars. Some websites will outline the current financial requirements – see below. However, don’t let a third party website discourage you from determining if you are eligible. Remember, there is no harm in reaching out to the Division of Elderly Affairs for more info!

“As of 2018, seniors must have an income no greater than $2,250 a month or $27,000 a year. An individual must not have more than $2,000 in countable assets, such as banking accounts, stocks, and bonds. A home is considered exempt if the individual continues to live in the home and their equity in the home is not valued at more than $572,000. Married couples face considerably more complicated financial criteria, this is especially true if one spouse is not seeking Medicaid assistance. Having only a single spouse apply can greatly relax Medicaid’s tight financial eligibility rules. It is recommended couples in this situation consult with a Medicaid planning professional.”

See the blog post on the Paying For Senior Care website for more information.

What are the steps to apply for a home care waiver?

The first step is to contact the Rhode Island Division of Elderly Affairs at 401-462-3000 to see if you can qualify for RI Medicaid Long Term Care. 

Also, contact the Dept of Human Services to see if you qualify for LTSS. From the Health and Human Services Brochure:

If you qualify for RI Medicaid Long Term Care because of your needs, income and resources, you may be able to hire and manage your own caretaker who can help you with bathing, dressing and other home activities through the Personal Choice Program. Contact: PARI Independent Living Center (401) 725-1966 voice/TTY or Tri-Town Community Action Program (401) 349-5760.”

See http://www.ohhs.ri.gov/homecomm/index.php and http://www.dea.ri.gov/programs/home_care.php for more info. 

How do I get Veterans Benefits in Rhode Island?

There are two sources that you want to reach out to.

  1. Give a call to Rhode Island Veterans Affairs at 401-921-2119.
  2. Also, check out All Is Well Home Care.  They claim to be experts on the Veterans Aid and Attendance Program. Give them a call at 401-270-3750.

Can you walk me through it?!

Sure, check out this video that outlines the websites.

Updated on June 10, 2019

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles

Leave a Comment